Building & Zoning

The Building Official issues permits for any building or property changes including fencing, decks, patios, sheds, paving, etc. Consult the Village Hall before making any interior or exterior changes to your property. We DO NOT issue over the counter permits. The permit takes approximately 7 to 10 days to be issued.

Contractors License Application
If you are having a contractor doing the work, they will also need to fill out an application, provide a certificate of insurance naming the Village of Hainesville and a copy of either another municipality’s current contractor license OR $20.

Building Permit Application  Email to (Permits generally take 7 to 10 days to process. We DO NOT issue over the counter permits) Roofs must have drip edge at all eaves & gables per IRC R905.2.8.5

Click here for a list of projects that require permits.

The basic Codes and Ordinances the Village uses are as follows:

  • The ICC International Building Code 2012 – As Amended
  • The ICC International Residential Code 2012 – As Amended
  • The National Electric Code 2011 – As Amended
  • The ICC International Mechanical Code 2012 -As Amended
  • The ICC International Fuel Gas Code 2012 -As Amended
  • The ICC International Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2012 -As Amended
  • The ICC International Fire Code 2012 – As Amended
  • The Illinois State Plumbing Code – Current Addition
  • The Illinois State Accessibility Code – Current Addition
  • The ICC International Property Maintenance Code 2006
  • The ICC International Energy Conservation Code 2015

Some of you also live in areas where you have a Homeowners Association which regulates what you can and cannot do. You have to have approval from the Association before you can begin a project. Contact them first and make sure what you are planning is not in violation of the covenants of your area. We do not regulate or have any legal responsibilities over your Homeowners Association or covenants that they are enforcing.

To apply for a building permit, you will need the following items:

  • A completed building permit application. Building permit applications are available at the Village Hall or in the link above.
  • Two sets of construction drawings showing what materials and how you plan to build your projects if applicable.
  • Three sets of construction drawings are needed for commercial projects.
  • A copy of your plat of survey showing the location of the project on your property with all the measurements. Roof and siding permits do not need plat of survey.
  • Proposal from contractor showing cost & material listing

Submit ALL these items to the Village Hall for review and approval or email to .

The Building Department will need time to review the application and plans, the turn around time is approximately 7 to 10 days but may be longer depending on the project.

If you have already completed a project (like one of the items mentioned above) without getting a permit, you are in violation. You will need to fill out a building permit application, attach applicable drawings and pictures showing what you have done and the materials you have used and a copy of your survey (if needed). There is a fine in addition to the cost of the permit and you will need to go through the necessary inspections.

Application Form – this form covers Annexation, Planned Unit Development, Rezoning, Special Use Permit, Subdivision Plat Approval, Plat of Consolidation, Variances and Zoning Map/Text Amendment.  The fee for this Application is $200. at the time it is submitted.

View Zoning Map

Occupancy Permits

The Village of Hainesville requires that a certificate of occupancy be obtained for ALL rental properties, commercial and industrial. A certificate of occupancy is required for rental property whenever there is a new occupant. If you pass inspection, the Building Department will issue a “Certificate of Occupancy”.  The cost for this inspection is $50.00 payable BEFORE the inspection and they are done on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.  Additional inspections are $50.00 each.  The Building Department will be checking that you have permits for all projects.  Click here for the Occupancy Checklist (not all inclusive).

Call before you dig!

State law requires anyone digging anywhere to call J.U.L.I.E. (Joint Utilities Location Information and Excavators) for underground utility locations. The new FCC designated national N-11 number for J.U.L.I.E. is 811. Calls are received 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A 48 hour notice must be provided before J.U.L.I.E. will complete the utility locates. The J.U.L.I.E. operator will advise the caller of when the locates will be completed. This is a free service.

View Full Site