Business Licenses

Village Clerk-New Business/Liquor

Business License Application

If you are looking to open a business in Hainesville; either a store front or home business you will need to look up if your business is an allowed business per our Zoning Ordinance.  Go to our Home page of our website and on the right hand-side of the Website go to Municipal Codes (click to view) go to Title 17 – Zoning, Chapter 17.03.010c under Allowed Uses or click here and Chapter 17.04.060 for Home Occupations or click herePlease contact Village Clerk Christina Reiser 847-223-2032 for any questions.

You will need to do the following:

  • Be sure your type of business is a permitted use for the property prior to the purchase or lease.
  • Download the business license application here or you can apply online using our fillable business license application by clicking here.
  • To view the Business License Fees Ordinance click here.
  • If you are doing any remodeling, installing a sign or changing anything electrical you MUST apply for a building permit at the Village Hall.  Click here for the building permit application.
  • A Business inspection is required by the Fire Marshall and our Building Inspector before you can open for business.

If you are Incorporated, Limited Partnership or a Sole Proprietorship  you must register with the State of Illinois at:  Illinois Secretary of State 312-793-3380 and their website is

Corporations, Partnerships and Sole Proprietorship are required to have a FEIN Number which is a Federal Employer Identification Number.  To obtain call Federal Taxpayer Services at  800-829-1040 or contact your accountant.

If your business is a Retail Sales Business, you must have a sales tax number.  To obtain your sales tax number call Illinois Department of Revenue at 800-829-4933 or visit

If you are a Restaurant owner or sell food items you are required to call Lake County Health Department at 847-377-8020 to obtain a permit.

Liquor License Application

If you are looking to apply for a Liquor License with your new business click here for the Liquor License Application.

To review our Liquor License Ordinance click here.


At this time, the Village of Hainesville does NOT require a Solicitors License. 

View Full Site